Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Sunset Cliffs


I saw some pictures of Zion and found them inspiring, particularly the first photo in this Modern Hiker post.  Something about the trees still in their winter corpse-like state against the cliffs made me wonder.  I've been having a bit of insomnia and the brain playing with watercolors didn't help, so I got up and tried out one of those thoughts to see what would happen.  Did it work out?  Well, there is certainly potential there.  It had to dry before starting the trees, so I got some sleep.  By the time I woke up, I'd decided not to use a mixture of deep grey and black for the trees, but grind some of an ink stick to use.  The ink stick really does make a wonderful black.

Some memories of specific cliffs are bobbing to the surface, there may be more cliffs coming.

Sunset Cliffs
watercolor and ink on watercolor paper
9" x 6"
$35

No comments:

Post a Comment